Saturday, May 12, 2012

Sermon Preview: Mother's Day and Love

From Pastor Josh: 

Image: Addie Kay Boswell's Circle of Women

Mother's Day is tomorrow!  (Uh oh, better not forget to call my momma....)

Also tomorrow begins the 6th week of Easter, and for our lesson this week we'll be looking again at the Gospel of John, at some of Jesus' last words to his disciples.

As we mentioned a few weeks back, John is a unique work of art in comparison to the other more historical Gospels of Matthew, Mark, and Luke. In John, we have a mash-up of sermons and lessons about Jesus--perhaps some of them based on the words of Jesus--mashed together with various scenes from Jesus' life.The reason for this? To preach words of hope and courage to churches in the 2nd century, whose lives and faith were threatened.

And the great source of hope that the Gospel gives to us? .... is Love. Love God. Love each other.

Sounds great!   It even sounds simple! But it is, really?

I mean, how many of us really and truly know what love is? I "love" my spouse (and partner-in-crime) Amy. I also use the word "love" to describe things like... my friends. Philly Cheese Steak. And the San Antonio Spurs. (#5 on the way!....sorry to break it to you, Celtics. )

Of course I don't mean the same thing when I say I LOVE all these things--- (I better not, or something is seriously wrong with me.)

What we're after here in this text----is the love that, like those early Christians, truly gives us HOPE and PURPOSE and JOY.... that somehow LASTS....even in times of great difficulty. That goes beyond just a fleeting emotion or a comforting thought.


How can we know what THAT kind of love looks like? 

Perhaps, on Mother's Day, we can consider how maybe our MOMS give us a clue??..... (Maybe not?)  



We'll be chatting about this tomorrow morning!


Images from Re:Worship

No comments:

Post a Comment